April 28, 2016 by healthwisehome
I’m a bit of a food geek. I admit it. I get excited about fresh, healthy, beautiful food and new recipe ideas in the same way that some people get excited about a fabulous new pair of shoes. It’s just my thing.
Last year I came across Trader Joe’s frozen Riced Cauliflower and it changed my world. It made making cauliflower pizza crust and other riced dishes less intimidating, less time-consuming, and so much easier. Did I mention that there was less of a mess to clean up afterwards, too? Yep, no need to pull out the food processor. TJ had already covered that step! Unfortunately, my riced cauliflower bliss was somewhat short-lived. Before long, I could hardly ever find it in stock anymore. Apparently everyone else fell in love with it, too. Bummer!
Fast forward to a few weeks ago: I was shopping in Trader Joe’s and saw that one of their *NEW* items was a fresh (not frozen), bagged version of their Riced Cauliflower AND there was plenty in stock. [HaPpY DaNcE!!]
I grabbed up several bags and started thinking of new ways to incorporate my find into our family’s meals. So far, this CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE is the family favorite among all of my attempts.
Aside from being a great alternative to rice and other grains, and an easy way to add more veggies into your family’s diet, riced cauliflower offers many health benefits, which include:
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
- Rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients
- Aids in detoxification
- Boost your digestive health
- Boost brain health
- Boost heart health
- May help prevent and fight cancer
So, grab a bag and get cooking. Can’t find a bag of riced cauliflower? Check out this post on how to make riced cauliflower on your own.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 3 cups raw riced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced mushroom
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- Olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Tamari sauce/soy sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Add onion and garlic. Saute 2-3 minutes, until onions become transparent and soft.
- Add carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms and saute 3-4 minutes, until carrots begin to soften.
- Stir in scrambled eggs, raw riced cauliflower, and Tamari/soy sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
*You can certainly add in your favorite protein or other veggies of your choice.