January 5, 2015 by healthwisehome
*This post is updated from last year’s challenge
Welcome to Week 1 of the Health Wise Home “6 Weeks to a Healthier You” Challenge! As I shared in yesterday’s post, this challenge is FREE and open to anyone that follows this blog or the Health Wise Home Facebook page. This IS NOT a weight-loss, detox, or diet plan. The Health Wise Home “6 Weeks to a Healthier You” Challenge is a LIFESTYLE challenge; an opportunity to start making small, positive changes in your daily life that can lead to SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENTS in your overall health when consistently followed over time. We will not be counting calories, fat grams, or carbs. Instead, our focus is going to be on gradually ADDING healthy lifestyle habits into your daily life.
So, let’s get started on working towards a healthier version of you in 2015!
The challenge for Week 1 is to DRINK MORE WATER throughout the day and to only consume “real” beverages. For this challenge, we are going to consider coffee, tea, water, and milk to be “real” beverages. If you sweeten any of these beverages, try using a natural sweetener, like honey or 100% pure maple syrup, instead of the artificial ones (anything that contains these items in the ingredients list contains artificial sweeteners: “Acesulfame K, Aspartame, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysates, Mannitol, Neotame, Polydextrose, Saccharin, Sorbitol, Sucralose (Splenda), Tagatose”).
So yes, you can enjoy your morning cup of coffee. Just don’t add in any of the artificially sweetened or flavored junk! What about smoothies and natural juices? Sure, they are “real” beverages, too. Wine is even allowed in moderation. The main focus, though, is to DRINK MORE WATER.
Did you know that every single cell in your body needs water in order to absorb nutrients and expel waste products? If your body is not properly hydrated it cannot perform and function to the best of its ability. Water (consumption) also offers many health benefits, including:
- Helps regulate your metabolism
- Improves digestion; helps prevent constipation and improves nutrient absorption
- Prevents headaches and back pains due to dehydration
- Helps your body to naturally “detoxify” itself
- Helps improve energy levels and your mood
- Improves cognitive function
- Improves the overall health and appearance of your skin
- Protects and cushions your organs and lubricated your joints
- Helps reduce your risk of developing kidney stones and certain cancers
- Aids in weight loss (we often mistake thirst for hunger)
So, drink up!
I would also encourage you to include your entire family in on this week’s challenge. Talk about the importance of drinking enough water throughout the day and encourage one another throughout the week. Everyone can benefit!
Don’t forget to stop by the Health Wise Home Facebook page for daily tips, advice, and other helpful pieces of information to encourage and motivate you to meet your weekly challenge. I will also do a Facebook “check-in” each day to allow you to share any successes, struggles, questions, or advice with our Health Wise community. Good luck!
* Disclaimer: You must not rely on the information on this site as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. If you have any specific questions about any medical matter, you should consult your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek immediate medical attention. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this site.